Saturday, June 25, 2011

Better Late Than Never!

I’m feeling guilty I haven’t written in so long. The days here are just getting shorter and shorter! Hopefully no one is sick of me going on and on about how much I love it here. I realized that I haven’t talked about my classes much! I love Old Testament. I think I forgot about the Old Testament when I came here. I just expected to learn all about Christ’s life, which we will… but I am really enjoying it now! Our professors here are geniuses. It is amazing how they can make you feel so dumb but help you to learn so much all at the same time. We’re almost half way done and my notebook is quickly running out of space.
                Last Thursday night we had our informal talent show. A friend and I decided that Scott has to do something since he is the comic relief of the J.C. So we put together a news cast that played in between acts. Two boys and I were the field reporters and we went around doing interviews and such on funny things that have happened around the center. Scott and our friend, Jessica were the live anchors and we had the tape play the interviews. It… was… awesome. I will have to put the entire news cast on the internet somehow so everyone can see it. Scott made it look very professional with an introduction and theme song. We even had a news ticker running across the bottom saying funny things. It was a hit!

The news team






                Recently we’ve been on a few field trips. One was our Shfelah trip where we saw all sorts of great things! The valley where David slew Goliath, lots of tombs, more cisterns and part of the path of the Ark of the Covenant. We have seen so many cisterns that a few of us made up a song to the tune of “Sisters” from White Christmas. Mom would be proud of me. The next trip was to the City of David and through Hezekiah’s Tunnel. It was so cool!! The city of David was amazing to see and it just makes the scriptures come to life! We went through the tunnel and got nice and wet. It was pitch-black so I was happy to have an excuse to wear my headlamp, I love that thing.



                At the end we stopped at had a little devotional at the Pool of Siloam. In John 9, Christ healed a blind man on the road that we walked on and then told him to go wash in the Pool of Siloam. I was standing right there!! We read through the story and learned some really awesome things. Christ healed the man with clay that he made out of dirt and “spittle.” And then told him to go wash in this pool, which was not the cleanest. We talked about why Christ would heal this man with such unclean things. Why didn’t he heal him with oil and herbs? Well let me tell you… If he would have used oil and herbs, then people could have said that it was the medicine that healed him. Using these dirty things made the healing more of a miracle. Later in the chapter the man bears testimony of Christ and said, “Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not; one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.” At this point, the man had still never seen Christ. I think that is so neat that this man who was healed could have such a testimony of a man that he had never seen before. Christ comes to him later and tells him who he is and the man believes. Such a cool story and I got to be right there!


                

2 comments:

  1. Post the newscast, Ali!! :D Thanks for including some of the things you are learning, too. It makes it all come alive...what a wonderful experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to post it but we can't download it here! Internet isn't good enough :( Don't let us forget to show you when we get home. SLY!!

    ReplyDelete